Sunday, November 9, 2008

Diabetic me

If you didn't know I'm type one diabetic, that means my pancreas doesn't produce the full amount of insulin that is used to convert sugar, starches, and other foods into energy. I test myself with a needle several times a day to see what my blood sugar range is. My target is 100-150. some of the signs I had for being diabetic was drinking more than normal, urinating more than normal, while urinating pee started bubbling(the bubbles are sugar), and having tremendous weight loss(I lost 6 pounds in a matter of days). When I first knew I was diabetic I always had to take shots to insert insulin into my body. I have to work for my pancreas because it doesn't work any more. I now have a insulin pump, I just type in what my number is and the carbohydrates I'm having and then it calculates it and it gives me just the right amount of insulin that I'm supposed to have. I change my site every two days or else my body will push it out which wouldn't be too good. I go to a special camp called camp chonuck, I go there every year sometimes with my family and sometimes without. It is always is super fun and we have a blast! There is lots of fun activities there, there is a swimming pool, a rock climb, archery, basket ball, Vally ball, tether ball, a lodge, a cafeteria(they serve something new every day), and my favorite, the snack bar. At the snack bar they have snow cones, salted peanuts, roasted peanuts, slim Jim's, all diet sodas, green tea, diet green tea, and lots of other snacks too. At the lodge they have pool, fuse ball, air hockey, ping pong, many board games, a old piano that you can play, and other things also. almost all the staffs and S.I.T's are type one diabetic. Once again I have a Lot of fun at diabetic camp, and I meet so much new people while I am there. If I am say 223 then I have to take extra insulin to lower my blood sugar, If I am 69 then I have to eat more to raise my blood sugar. I can feel when I'm low almost instantly, but I have a much harder time when I am high. My meters can only read numbers from 20-600. The lowest I've been is 29, and the highest I've been is over 600. When I was 29 I was playing mini tennis with my friend and then I lost control of my body and I slowly walked to the left and bonked my head on the wall, then I slowly walked to the right and bonked my head on the side of the house, then I walked to the left again bonked my head then fell and hit my head on the concrete. I was over 600 about 3 times now and mostly only get that high if I'm at a Party with lots of brownies, ice cream, and different things like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Spencer,
I am so impressed with your blogging. I love reading about YOU. I have learned things I didn't know...like your favorite color is red. When I was your age that was my favorite color too!! I am looking forward to reading more and seeing more pictures of your handsome face!!!
Love,
Your very proud Grandmother
XXXOOOXXXOOO

Christine said...

I love, love, love you Spencer!
You're my Rock Star!

Grandpa said...

Man your good.Yours is the first blog I've ever read.I'll be following your blog and look forward to reading your input.Keep everyone appraised of Beau's progress in his training.Looking forward to Thanksgiving.I love you like a big choclate sunday with whip cream all over it.GRANDPA RON

Our Favorite Spot

Our Favorite Spot
Gerum's Lake House

Kids & Bo

Kids & Bo
We Love our Puppy!

Alex & Cooper

Alex & Cooper
Lovin' the Olives